The Global Dimension is one of the cross-curricular dimensions which underpin the Manx curriculum. A one hour interactive session will encourage you as you see what you are already doing, and help you to see the potential scope.
Base Line Audit
How can you tell if the Global Dimension actually improves understanding and attainment? A two hour session takes you through a series of activities which can measure attitudes and understanding, and which you can use with one or more classes of pupils.
Have you ever wondered about forming a link with a school in another country? If so, An Introduction to School Linking could be for you. It is designed as a whole day course, but could be split into smaller sections. You can book the next course, Tuesday 27th March, through the Department of Education’s usual CPD procedures.
If you are already involved in a partnership, Building Effective School Partnerships could be the course for you. This will run on Thursday 21st June 2012.
Maybe you would like to broaden your link. Global Education in Partnerships takes place on Thursday 11th October 2012.
Global Teacher Award
The Global Teacher Award is a programme of training available across the UK as well as in the Isle of Man, delivered by trainers who have been validated through Liverpool Hope University. Initially teachers will be offered Level 1 training, but it is expected that Levels 2 and 3 will become available in the next couple of years. The delivery will be personalised by the individual trainers to achieve the learning outcomes outlined below:
1) An increased ability to understand and critique the knowledge base and key concepts associated with education for a just and sustainable world (global learning)
2) The ability to identify a range of different perspectives and question the assumptions behind them
3) An enhanced understanding of the approaches to learning which promote critical literacy
4) New insights gained into personal lives and work-related roles will be developed into practical ideas.
5) An ability to justify global learning in the curriculum and include activities to measure changes in attitudes of their pupils in relation to certain global issues.
6) An increase in confidence and understanding of how to promote informed, active global citizenship
The first GTA course will run as a series of twilights at Castle Rushen High School on Mondays at 1600, beginning on 27th February. If you would prefer a whole day, then please book for Thursday 28th June 2012.